What you've always wanted to know about PEARLS!

     Similar to my last post, this is a post from the same past job. This one, much like the last post I shared, was also not very popular w...

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Preparing for Change

     Having recently relocated to Chicago and having had to start 3 new jobs in the last two years, I thought, “Well this should be simple!”I was wrong...     In hindsight, I can laugh at myself for thinking that once I had this job I would be able to just walk onto a ship and start work. This hubris on my part is something in which I can find endless amusement. If you are seeking a job on a cruise ship as an American, be ready to spend a lot of time preparing (and possibly a lot of money).     Like everything in this blog, this is just chronicling my own experiences; so I can’t say what it may be like for other nationalities or companies. However, one truth is universal, the process is extensive.


The Application

     To say that the application was brief would be a gross understatement. The application included an English test (English being the universal language of most cruise lines, it is a required language for all crew), a name and facial recognition test (for maximizing guest services), video recorded interview questions, and a few other tests. All these made sense for the job, but no one would claim it was a short process. It took me a little over 2 hours in total to finish. 

The Interview

     Like I said in my last post, I had already submitted several applications for various cruise lines with no success, so my hopes were not high when submitting applications this time. However, I heard back the next day for an interview for the main position I had wanted on the ship. The interview was very straight forward and took place over video, with all my thoughts during the interview revolving around, “Can they see my nervous sweats through webcam?”
     A general rule of the universe is when you feel like you probably failed a test, you likely passed, and if you feel confident or that something is too easy… beware! After each interview, I ended the video call going, “Well, I blew it. There is no way I will get this job.” ...It doesn’t help that I am notoriously bad at interviews. But, true to form, after 2 interviews and the video Q&A submissions, a job offer came by email. 

After the Offer

     When the offer came in, I was beside myself. I called my mother. I called my best friend. I called the guy I was dating. I posted about it online. I wanted the world to know. One little email set into motion the second biggest change in my life (only missing out on the top spot because of my move to Chicago 2 years earlier). Contained in that email was the new hire packet (detailing the life onboard), forms to be filled out and signed (mostly medical), and a list of things I would need, including: certifications, vaccinations, and legal documents. 
     No matter, I really wanted to do this, and to start soon. Legal documents were easily arranged, vaccinations, while expensive, were easily procured, and I managed to get my medical exams done using sliding scale over the course of three visits (it could’ve taken less time if I planned better, but it did more time with my very attractive doctor). This left only one problem: certifications. 

STCW

     The Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping, or STCW certifications, are an international standard for seafarer work; and for good reason. To start my work, I was required to take 7 certification courses that all revolve around safety and survival at sea, such as: basics in first aid, basics in fire fighting, survival at sea, crowd control, crisis control, basic safety at sea, etc.
     Having taken these courses I can say two things definitively: they are incredibly interesting and useful, and more people should take them. But every positive has a negative… or a few. 
     These courses are offered online, but the required practical courses required travel. Luckily there was a licensed school for these certifications near my parents house back in Florida, but that did mean booking a flight. The courses weren’t individually long, but combined it was daunting; especially when paired with my continued private contractor work and that I was only halfway through a year-long diamond grading course (one I had also found out I would need to finish before my contract begins). Some of the people in may certification courses expressed their desire to just scrape by and get the required 70% passing grade. Me, being the overachiever that I am, refused to half-ass it. I studied diligently and my pride refused to allow me to get any less than a 100% on the certification final exams (a feat I succeeded in).
     But the biggest drawback was the price tag. Stephen Sondheim was right: wishes come true, not free.  After flight, courses, vaccinations, and medical exams, I found myself out over $2,000, $1,400 of that coming from the courses themselves. My parents offered help, which did alleviate some of the burden, but seeing a price tag that big is always a shock. The company, like most other companies (as I’ve come to understand), do not pay for these courses. Their reasoning is sound: they do not want people to get the job only to get sponsorship for these courses and then not do their job. While I do not know if it is the same for every person, I know I was going to be paying a pretty penny (or over 200,000 pennies) to make this dream a reality. But I wanted this, so I was happy to pay (I would just need to ignore the stabbing pain in my chest when the time came to hand over the money). Luckily with the courses done, I was ready.

Tying up Loose Ends

     What will likely come as a surprise to no one is how spread out your life is and how many small things need to be done when you are preparing for such a massive change. So when my contract came and I had my official start date, I started trying to put together a list of all the things I needed to do. Some things are obvious: taking care of your living arrangements (in my case finding someone to take over my lease) and putting everything in storage (also, sending some of it home with your parents like I did). Other things you would never think of until the time comes: like the process of transferring your bills to someone else and having your mail forwarded. Additionally there are also some things that can be wholly unique to a person's given situation. 
     One was filing for my taxes. While being self employed meant I didn’t have to put in any notice, it did make filing for taxes a little more complicated (a process complicated even further by both of my tax forms being sent to an old address). I had to ensure that these were completed and filed before my departure date, which only gave me a two week window. 
     The other last minute complication to my departure was my aforementioned GIA diamond grading certification. I was halfway through the course and still had 6 months to finish and take the exam. But when the job offer came, my window shrank to 2 months, on top of all the other preparations I was making. Again, like with my certifications, my pride would not allow me to do the bare minimum. I stopped going out, studied during every spare moment, and even took my notes with me everywhere. My hard work paid off, I passed my final exam with 95%! (And yes, I am a nerd.)

Packing

     Once all my t’s were crossed and i’s were dotted, all I could do was pack and wait. But what do I pack? Many people ask me what should someone pack? For me, my focus was on clothes. I brought very few things in the way of personal effects. I, personally, packed clothes according to my itinerary. Let me bestow some advice for future crew members: pack a variety of clothes! I only packed mostly cold or cool weather clothes expecting that type of climate, but then found myself lacking in appropriate clothes when I was transferred to a different ship. So I have had to go out and buy more. Which leads me to my next tip: you don’t need to pack as many clothes are you think you do. Regardless of your position, department, itinerary, etc. you will always have time (at some point) to go out clothes shopping. 
     There are no steadfast rules. Pack what you want; whatever will make your life more comfortable and enjoyable on the ship. My comforts included a game system (my Nintendo 2DS, a gift from the family), my laptop, and the best parting gift I could’ve received: a hard drive full of my favorite movies and TV shows (a gift from my best friend and her boyfriend). While that may not have been enough to sustain me for an entire contract, I have been able to update it with additional movies brought to me by other crew members. 
     When packing, just remember that space in your luggage (and in your cabin) is limited, and there are some rules and regulations you are required to follow about what you can or cannot have onboard (these rules vary by company and are told to you in advance). And don’t worry, if you forget anything, you’ll be able to find most things in port. 

The Fateful Day

     All the preparations in the world couldn’t quite get me ready for the mingled feeling of excitement and nerves, I felt waking up that last day. I woke up, packed my last remaining possessions, went over a final checklist, said my goodbyes and stuffed my luggage into an Uber. The whirlwind of the previous three months were such that the time moved so quickly and so much happened that it all felt like it was happening to someone else. But here it was immediate and present, the day I had dreamt of. I boarded my company-paid flight and said my final goodbye to my home for the next 7 months. 

Additional Thoughts and Reflections

     Another pair of questions have come across my path (a couple times) that require more in depth answers.

-Is there something I packed that I wish I hadn’t/found I didn’t need? Is there anything I wish I had packed that I didn’t think of or forgot?
     Like I stated before, I didn’t need nearly as many clothes, but there is nothing that I would say I wish I hadn’t brought. Living with the benefit of hindsight, months on the contract has taught me that there are a few creature comforts that would not go amiss, such as a good pillow and blanket. While provided for you, they may not be perfectly suited for every person’s individual needs. But these things take up precious luggage space and can likely also be found in port. 
     The thing I wish most of all to have brought was a photo of my family. Family can be an inexpressible comfort during such big transitions and during trying times in life; and while I try to talk to people at home as much as I can, life aboard can be so chaotic that seeing the faces of my family everyday would be a small comfort. While I had planned to bring this with me, it was a small detail that fell through the cracks and I regret it.

     Preparation can only take you so far, but actual experience and adaptation to life onboard can be quite different… more on that soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment